PAST TIMES PASTIMES


We are shaped by our past experiences - however much we should be 'forward looking'. Reflecting on times past need not be sentimental, or wallowing in the tragedies and misfortunes. We can always learn from the past because it was the catalyst for the present. And I do not mean 'learning by our mistakes' either. As Peter Cook's Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling (or was it Greeb-Streebling?) put it, "I have learned by my mistakes and I have learned to repeat them exactly." Wisdom indeed. Thus, most of my meanderings here will be retrospective; considering an event long consigned to memory which might have relevance today.

A long preamble to justify a look backwards in this post (hopefully not with the salty consequences which befell Lot's missus), but I hope that anyone reading this will find it worthwhile nonetheless. Any two reading this and finding it worthwhile will be little short of a miracle. Still ... we soldier on regardless. Many years ago - as a teenager - I toyed with the notion of writing for a living. My best friend Jim and I had even considered going into partnership writing comedy scripts for radio and television. Our efforts would have needed much revising and honing to a sharper pitch I am sure, but I think we came up with a few choice routines and ideas.

I recall one idea we were particularly taken with, which turned up on a Morecambe and Wise Show a few weeks later - maybe not word for word, but the same premise without a doubt. This was a good thing and a bad thing at one and the same time. Good, because if our idea was good enough for Morecambe and Wise (at that time the most popular programme on British Television), then we weren't half bad. Bad, because it meant that if we could only come up with the same things as Eddie Braben (the show's writer), then where was our unique viewpoint. It isn't the idea that is important, but what one does with it. Originality is what counts - and ideas, outline scripts, scenarios are easily found. Turning your comic idea into 'comedy gold' takes a special talent (like that of the wonderful Eric Sykes) - and having performers of genius like Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise does your cause no harm either.

I am naturally drawn towards comedy. I find it difficult but satisfying to write. Indeed, I am usually unable to resist 'pulling the rug out from under' some serious piece that I have spent much time on, by twisting the denouement into a punchline. That is the plan at least. Having said that, I am not good at 'jokes'. For me, the humour comes from the character - which probably fits with being 'a frustrated actor'. At least, many have told me over the years that I 'should have been on the stage'; to which some added a comment like "You could work for Wells Fargo!", or "All you need is a dustpan and brush and you'd clean up ... behind a good actor." Ha... Ha... Ha...

Well, after that, it is “Goodnight” from me, and a “Goodnight” from him; also me. Doesn’t quite work, does it?

Comments

Popular Posts