TOO MUCH NEWS and NO JOHN HUMPHRYS

I have on several occasions intended to post my most recent observations on the world - regardless of whether or not anyone is interested - but have been stymied* by the tumult of news assaulting my thoughts at a rate which as soon as I have formulated a point of view, it is confronted and confounded by ongoing events.
It was always so, I am certain, but the rise of divisiveness particularly in the United Kingdom and the United States of America (both proclaiming unity as intrinsic to their nationhood), has led to an instability which makes the balancing act of seeing a clarity of intent or purpose in their actions all the more complex. When division occurs, views swiftly become polarised and entrenched, and peaceful co-existence is the casualty,leading to a rise in factionalism. Too wordy? In short then, it's a frightening mess that promotes the tribal instinct.

Recall scenes in 'the mother of Parliaments' when Scottish National Party MP's began singing "Scots Wha Hae" and "Flower of Scotland" in response to Labour MP's singing "The Red Flag". Not to be outdone Plaid Cymru and Welsh Labour MP's sang the song known as "Bread of Heaven" (Cwm Rhondda). Proud as I am of my Scots heritage, and stirring though both anthems are, I found this tribal display upsetting and inappropriate. I am also aware that I have Irish ancestry through my father's line, Welsh through my mother's and cousins who are half English. Go back far enough and we discover that most of us are mongrels claiming to be pedigree champions.

What can I do about it? Well, if our elected representatives are in a fix about it, then plainly I can do nothing apart from - as here - add my voice to the Niagara of noise.

Yes, I am concerned about climate change and the burning of the rain forests, but am I up for being a Greta Thunberg mobilising the planet's youth to protest against the older generation's ignorance and work to heal the wounds? Even as I write this, local school children are protesting for all they are worth just yards from the studio door. I support them for sure. They are the one's who will bear the brunt of our excesses.



Yes, I am bewildered by the juggernaut of anger that pushes Scotland towards independence. It is plausible that the English vote to leave the European Union is largely an expression of English nationalism, a move which all but the most rabid of right-wingers acknowledge will leave this sceptred isle debilitated for a generation at least.

And their desire to be 'free from the yoke of the European oppressor', does not extend to those Scots and Welsh who wish to be free from their English Overlords. Indeed the Westminster government's refusal to grant a second Independence Referendum to Scotland seems to confirm the notion that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are but vassal states. It also exposes the fear that without the vestigial remains of empire, England would be left alone - the inevitable consequence of an arrogant world view.

And yes, I am upset at the cruelty of one to another, which such fear and self-centredness - something from which none of us are immune - creates. A few wield their cruelty to a greater degree than others, to be sure, smiling all the while, as they march boldly into the sunset, where life is ever 'the good old days'.

Or maybe, I'm havering**.

Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow morning and John Humphrys will still be laying into a recalcitrant politician on Radio 4 and allow me the illusion that someone is asking questions. Except he won't because today was his last day on the Today programme. Even such glories as Mr Humphrys in full terrier mode are now snatched from my ken. Who's going to make sense of all the calamities that abound around us now?

I find that in my mid-sixties, that I feel much as I did in the early Seventies, when teenage angst encouraged the world view that we were all headed for the fires of Hell. There is too much news. What is one to do?

At times like this, I take comfort in the words of Private Frazer in Dad's Army.

"We're doomed!"


* Interesting word 'stymied'; apparently a golfing term, but still surprising to hear it used by or about (not sure which) the Scottish Court of Session in a judgement concerning the proroguing of the Westminster Parliament. Less surprising than 'proroguing' though. Cannot say that we all knew that one.

** In Scottish English, haver (from the Scots havers (oats)) means "to maunder; to talk foolishly; to chatter," as heard in the song "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by The Proclaimers. In British English elsewhere, haver means "to hem and haw; to be indecisive"

Comments

Popular Posts